Bike shop owner brightens day for Brooklyn teen with special needsPosted: Updated:
A bike shop owner in Brooklyn has brought joy to a 15-year-old boy who caught her attention while she was training for a marathon in Prospect Park.
Diego Munoz has cerebral palsy, which makes it hard for him to get around. However, thanks to Sandra Alfonzo, the owner of Behind Bars, Munoz was presented with a custom-made bike that will help him a great deal.
Alfonzo says she got the idea for the bike when she saw Munoz in his wheelchair watching other kids riding their bikes. She says she knew that day she had to make a change.
With the help of a Canadian company called Freedom Concepts and donations from customers, Alfonzo was able to make Munoz's dreams come true.
The shop is now raising money to build bikes for two more kids with special needs.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- At least one person was injured in a police-involved shooting in Gowanus, according to officials.At least one person was injured in a police-involved shooting in Gowanus, according to officials.
- Nueva pista en la desaparición de la niña Dulce MaríaNueva pista en la desaparición de la niña Dulce María
- The Macombs Dam Bridge, which spans the Harlem River and connects Manhattan and the Bronx, is posing a potential danger to drivers.
- Community members in Brighton Beach say they’ve been without running water for an entire month and want the city to take responsibility.
- A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that STDs are on the rise - and several New York City boroughs were ranked among the top in the U.S. for the number of the diseases.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Gunfire broke out inside an illegal gambling club in Brooklyn early Saturday, police said, leaving four people dead, three wounded, and investigators trying to piece together what prompted the bloodshed.