Brooklyn Diocese takes precautions against flu outbreakPosted: Updated:
The Diocese of Brooklyn is taking measures to help contain the flu as it continues to spread.
The diocese has suspended fundamental practices during Mass specifically the the sharing of wine. The church recommends anyone who is not feeling well to refrain from shaking hands as a sign of peace. However, they say shaking hands is still allowed. The bishop took the temporary and precautionary measure last week in hopes of stopping the flu from spreading further.
Brooklyn churches will no longer allow parishioners to share the wine cup during Holy Communion.
The diocese says it's a gesture aimed at protecting those most vulnerable to the flu, including seniors and people who are already ill.
The suspension will be lifted when the outbreak is declared over.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Following several deadly accidents along Brooklyn's busiest corridors, 3rd and Hamilton avenues are seeing some changes to their speed limits.
- The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.The U.S. has its first case of a new virus that was found only last month in China.
- New York Yankees great Derek Jeter headlines this year's Baseball Hall of Fame class, slated for induction July 26.
- Relief efforts are continuing in Puerto Rico after the island experienced several earthquakes in recent weeks.
- Tesla says that claims that its cars could suddenly accelerate on their own are 'completely false' and peddled by short sellers.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!