St. Barnabas Hospital, FDNY teach fire safety skills

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK -

St. Barnabas Hospital and the FDNY have teamed up to teach fire safety skills to prevent fires this winter.

The workshop, hosted by the New York Fire Safety Education Unit, aims to teach people to stop a fire from spreading. Attendees listened along as fire officials spoke about common mistakes, like leaving a candle lit when no one is in the room, using extension cords with space heaters and heating an apartment with a stove.

Officials gave advice that included using a frying pan cover when cooking and sleeping with the bedroom door closed.

The workshop came a month after a massive fire tore through an apartment building on Prospect Avenue in the Belmont section of the Bronx, killing 13 people. Officials say the fire started when a toddler was playing with a stove. After the flames broke out, they say a mother grabbed her kids and ran out, but left the apartment door open, allowing the flames to spread.

Fire officials also stressed that every floor of a building should have smoke detectors with fresh batteries.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."