Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
Woman meets with DA after suing NYPD for being detained at homePosted: Updated:
A Brownsville woman met with Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez on Wednesday to demand answers after she filed a lawsuit against the NYPD for being detained in her home last year.
On Oct. 21, 2017, Rolinda Walls says police came to her door at the Van Dyke House looking for her 27-year-old daughter. She says officers found marijuana joints in a room where her son sleeps and told her she would be arrested if her son didn't come home.
Walls says she was detained in her own home for 16 hours and was forbidden to sleep in her room.
She's now demanding an investigation into the actions of the detective and two officers involved. She filed a lawsuit against the NYPD last month.
Walls says Gonzalez reached out to her after hearing about what happened.
The NYPD and the city's Law Department declined to comment on the case.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Rain has moved in behind Saturday’s snowfall that dropped several inches during the afternoon.Rain has moved in behind Saturday’s snowfall that dropped several inches during the afternoon.
- President Donald Trump's legal team issued a fiery response ahead of opening arguments in his impeachment trial Saturday while House Democrats laid out their case in forceful fashion.
- Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles "royal highness" or receive public funds under a deal struck Saturday for them to step aside as senior royals.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- Over a dozen people who lived inside a home that offers mental health services were sent to the hospital Friday night.
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.