$2.5B expansion plan unveiled at Brooklyn Navy Yard

Posted: Updated:
BROOKLYN -

A $2.5 billion expansion plan was unveiled Thursday at the Brooklyn Navy Yard.

The plan expects to bring an additional 10,000 new jobs in the coming years on top of the current expansion already underway, bringing the grand total to 30,000 new jobs.

In recent years, there has been a surge in demand for affordable and high-quality industrial and creative space in Brooklyn.

The Navy Yard is now home to more than 400 businesses, and has remained at near full occupancy for years with a waiting list of businesses looking for space.

When the work is complete, it will have five million-square feet of space added, with about 75 percent of it dedicated to manufacturing space. The other 25 percent will be for creative technology and innovation purposes.

The emphasis will be on three sites within the yard, including approximately 13 acres at Kent Avenue, about 6.5 acres on Flushing Avenue and about 5 acres on Navy Street.

Development is expected to begin following the completion of the expansion, which is already underway.

  • Brooklyn SlideshowsSlideshowsMore>>

  • Your 2018 Brooklyn Halloween Costumes

    Your 2018 Brooklyn Halloween Costumes

    Monday, October 22 2018 11:50 AM EDT2018-10-22 15:50:57 GMT

    Will you be spooky or scary? Or maybe playful or funny! Whatever your Halloween costumes are this year, News 12 wants to see them!

    Will you be spooky or scary? Or maybe playful or funny! Whatever your Halloween costumes are this year, News 12 wants to see them!

  • Your 2018 Brooklyn Fall Fun Photos

    Your 2018 Brooklyn Fall Fun Photos

    Wednesday, September 5 2018 1:52 PM EDT2018-09-05 17:52:33 GMT
    Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics!Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics!
    Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics!Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics!

    Is fall your favorite season? Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics! Send them via Twitter or Instagram with the #BKFallFun and they might end up on air or on News12.com.

    Is fall your favorite season? Are you and your family doing fun things this fall? Whether you're out apple or pumpkin picking, at a farm or corn maze or just hanging around in your home or yard, News 12 Brooklyn want to see your Fall Fun pics! Send them via Twitter or Instagram with the #BKFallFun and they might end up on air or on News12.com.

  • Brooklyn Birthday Smiles

    Brooklyn Birthday Smiles

    It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!

    It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!

    It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."