FDNY firehouses serve up meals for charityPosted: Updated:
A tasty fundraiser was held Tuesday at the FDNY headquarters in Downtown Brooklyn.
Seven FDNY firehouses served nutritious meals for the "Cook Off for Cancer" luncheon that raised awareness and money for FDNY members who are fighting cancer.
Retired firefighter and current TV chef Ray Cooney used his culinary know-how as a way to help his fellow firefighters in need.
"Unfortunately the cancer is killing a lot of us slowly, so it's a very important thing," he says. "It's all about eating healthy and fighting cancer."
The FDNY says more than 1,000 service members are battling cancers related to the Sept. 11 terror attack in Manhattan. The names of those who have died are etched into a plaque at the headquarters.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Happy National Pie Day! Celebrate today with a delicious pie! What's your favorite type of pie?Happy National Pie Day! Celebrate today with a delicious pie! What's your favorite type of pie?
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!