FDNY: Electric heater cause of deadly East New York fire

Posted: Updated:
EAST NEW YORK -

An unattended electric heater caused the fire that killed two women and displaced dozens inside an East New York building Wednesday, officials say.

The fire started inside of a deli at 964 Belmont Ave. at 1:30 a.m.

Fire officials say the flames from the heater quickly spread from the deli and up to the apartments above where there were no working smoke alarms. 

The women were found on the third floor of the building, and were both transported to the Brookdale Hospital where they were pronounced dead, officials say.

The identities of the victims have not been released.

At least 60 people have been displaced including 40 adults and 20 children.

The American Red Cross is working to assist the families with temporary housing.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."