#N12BK: NYC Transit chief holds Twitter Q&APosted: Updated:
Straphangers had the chance to speak directly to the man in charge of the New York City Transit system Thursday morning during a Twitter Q&A session.
NYC Transit President Andy Byford took questions about the city’s subway system for 90 minutes.
NYC Transit President Andy Byford wants to know: What can we do to improve your subway service? Tweet your feedback and questions using #AskNYCT, and he’ll post responses tomorrow from 10:30am – 12pm. pic.twitter.com/W4RmFLI7r4— NYCT Subway (@NYCTSubway) March 29, 2018
Some commuters asked why major renovations at shut-down stations are not being made handicap-accessible.
Byford responded that he is trying to establish how much it would cost to make the whole network accessible.
I've made this an immediate priority of my tenure and initiated a survey of all remaining inaccessible stations to establish how much it would cost to make the whole network accessible. Union Square will be included within this exercise. #AskNYCT ^AB https://t.co/DIllez6JAe— NYCT Subway (@NYCTSubway) March 29, 2018
Byford responded to a plethora of other issues commuters are concerned about.
MetroCards have served us well, but are now old technology. For that reason, we are migrating to contactless payment whereby you can pay for fare using your phone or a credit card. In the meantime, we're looking at ways to speed up refunds or card replacements. #AskNYCT ^AB https://t.co/jMhx8MZEI4— NYCT Subway (@NYCTSubway) March 29, 2018
Two things:— NYCT Subway (@NYCTSubway) March 29, 2018
1. The Subway Action Plan is tackling a huge backlog of maintenance to make the existing system work more reliably.
2. I'm pressing for the funding and political backing to completely renew the entire NYC Transit signaling system. #AskNYCT ^AB https://t.co/VYq7w2CBXa
Next month's conversation will focus on the bus system and Access-A-Ride.
Byford joined the MTA in January. He used to hold Twitter conversation sessions when he was in charge of Toronto's transit system.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?
- Is subway graffiti making a comeback?Is subway graffiti making a comeback?
- Should people on probation be drug tested for marijuana?Should people on probation be drug tested for marijuana?