#N12BK: Equal Pay DayPosted: Updated:
Today is Equal Pay Day—a day meant to bring awareness to the gender wage gap.
According to recent statistics, women make 89 cents for every dollar made by a man in a similar position in New York.
Even celebrities aren't exempt from the wage gap.
Last month, Netflix's "The Crown" made headlines after it was revealed its lead actress, Claire Foy, made less than her co-star, Matt Smith.
And E! News star Catt Sadler left her job last year before news broke that her co-anchor, Jason Kennedy, made more money.
People are encouraged to show their support online today using the hashtag #Equalpayday or wear red to show how women are "in the red" on equal pay.
The idea is to bring legislative change to close the wage gap.
- Two big retail stores are in hot water.Two big retail stores are in hot water.
- Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.Those traveling around the city this weekend may be able to ditch their MetroCard.
- Allergic reactions can be deadly.Allergic reactions can be deadly.
- Do you dread your commute?Do you dread your commute?
- When was the last time you wrote in cursive?When was the last time you wrote in cursive?