85-year-old woman dies, man injured in Gerritsen Beach car crashPosted: Updated:
A Gerritsen Beach car crash killed an 85-year-old woman and injured a 90-year-old man Tuesday afternoon next to a car wash at the corner of Gerristen Avenue and Avenue U.
Police say Joan Tornabene died at the scene. The unidentified 90-year-old was taken to Lutheran Medical Center with severe trauma to his head and body.
Police say a black Jeep rear-ended the couple's car as it left the business.
When the occupants went to inspect the damage on their silver Honda, police say a 61-year-old car wash worker jumped into the Jeep. He put it in reverse, police say, jumping the sidewalk and hitting the building.
Then, according to witnesses, he put it in gear and ran the couple over more than once.
"He went over the lady," says Victor Pizarro. "Then he went back to the lady -- and passed over the lady."
Surveillance video from a nearby auto body shop recorded most of the grisly incident.
Police say the car wash worker remained at the scene.
Authorities have not released the name of the male victim.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!