4 families battle with aftermath of Bed-Stuy fire

Posted: Updated:
BED-STUY -

Four families in Bed-Stuy are picking up the pieces after a fire destroyed their home Friday night.

Officials say the fire started on the top floor of a town house on Herkimer Street around 8:30 p.m.

The building’s owner says the fire was caused by a lit candle. He also says all four families affected are staying with loved ones or the Red Cross, as their home has been totally destroyed.

The FDNY confirmed that the fire was accidental, and they say a smoke alarm was present in the building but not working at the time of the fire.

There have been no reported injuries. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."