Brothers, P.S. 176 students aim to give 10,000 homeless people blankets this holidayPosted: Updated:
Two brothers from Brooklyn who've been paying it forward for years are giving blankets and handwritten notes to the homeless and have little helpers of their own this holiday season.
Nick and Mike Fiorito were at P.S. 176, the school they went to, hoping to make a difference for thousands of people this winter.
They say they are bringing the students along for the ride to show them the power in giving.
The brothers started “Blankets of Hope” three years ago as a small family project.
"A way to give back during the holiday season and it is kind of taken on a life of its own, grown into this big thing that we see today,” says Mike Fiorito.
At first their goal was to give about 100 homeless people blankets and their handwritten notes of hope, but now the goal is 10,000.
The pair is raising money using their GoFundMe page to purchase the blankets, and they're enlisting school children to write notes of their own with all types of inspiring messages.
The brothers say it's about so much more than handing out blankets on a cold winter day.
"They are getting this feeling that they actually matter. It's not just ‘I'm cold,’ but when thousands of people are walking by you every day it's easy to feel worthless and so we make them feel like a normal human being,” says Mike Fiorito.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- As city leaders met Monday to try and come up with a solution to the up-tick in hate crimes, a disturbing discovery made in Bensonhurst.
- Se espera que uno de los supuestos pandilleros que atacó a Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz en El Bronx continue su testimonio en corte hoy.
- Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.Whole Foods is banning plastic straws.
- Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.Texting while crossing the street could soon become illegal in New York state.
- As warmer weather leads many to switch from cars to bikes, there is a new proposal in Bay Ridge that supporters say would help protect cyclists is in the works.
- Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!Are you attending the PGA Championship? News 12 wants to see your photos!
- The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.The BRIC Celebrate Brooklyn! Festival has announced its 2019 lineup.
- Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.Here's a look at some of the most highly anticipated films coming out this year.
- The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.The 2019 performer lineup for Madison Square Garden.