Police: Severe fish allergy may have killed 11-year-old boy

Posted: Updated:
CANARSIE -

An 11-year-old boy died on New Year’s Day inside a Canarsie home, and it may have been caused by a fish allergy.

Camron Jean-Pierre was unresponsive around 7:30 p.m. Tuesday and taken to Brookdale Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.

Police say it may have been caused by a fish allergy so severe that he simply smelled it and stopped breathing.

The family of Jean-Pierre told News 12 they're grieving from this tragedy and are not yet ready to speak about his loss.

Neighbors say they don't know how the boy died but they call his death personal.

Experts call the most life-threatening allergic reactions "The Top 8." They are fish, shellfish, eggs, milk, peanuts, tree nuts like walnuts, soy, and wheat.

Dr. Purvi Parikh says when it comes to allergic reactions, timing is everything. She says just getting medication fast enough often means the difference between life and death.

The medical examiner has yet to determine Jean-Pierre's official cause of death.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."