Historic Coney Island building slated for demolitionPosted: Updated:
The old Grashorn Building, which dates back to the late 1800s along Surf Avenue in Coney Island, is scheduled for demolition.
Charles Denson, the executive director of the Coney Island History Project, says Henry Grashorn built it back then when he operated it as a hardware store that repaired amusement rides.
He adds that it is the only building left in the neighborhood from that era.
The Department of Buildings records show no recent violations for the property and a permit for demolition filed on Jan. 23.
Denson says this all could have been avoided.
"This building fell victim to demolition by neglect. It was bought by Thor Equities over 10 years ago, there was nothing done to improve it. It was just left to deteriorate over the years,” says Denson. “It could have been restored. It's a historic building.”
News 12 reached out to Thor Equities several times for a comment, but did not hear back.
Coney Island History Project executive director laments demolition of Grashorn building
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police are trying to track down a group of armed thieves they say held up five businesses across the borough.
- Un nuevo concurso de fotos busca poner presión al MTA para que limpie los vagones del metro mas seguido.
- The final trailer for the "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" debuted Monday, offering a fleeting glimpse of the late Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia embracing Daisy Ridley's Rey.
- French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.French automaker Renault is doubling down on hydrogen fuel cell technology.
- Social media app TikTok has removed nearly two dozen accounts responsible for posting ISIS propaganda.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.