Infirmed 87-year-old trapped on fifth floor by broken elevatorPosted: Updated:
A woman in her 80s says she hasn't left her apartment in several weeks because the elevator in her building broke down.
Sheila Pierre, 87, who has lived at 750 Lefferts Ave. for 40 years, says she has asked for the elevator to be fixed, but nothing has been done.
When the elevator broke back on April 2, firefighters had to come and carry her up to her fifth-floor apartment.
She is supposed to see her doctor several times throughout the month, but hasn't been able to because she can't get down to the first floor. She has canceled three appointments where she gets vital shots for a serious blood condition.
Pierre says management has offered to have someone carry her down, but feels that's risky. She says there's no reason the elevator should be broken for this long.
Lefferts 750 LLC, which manages the building, told News 12 that repairs are taking longer because the part they need is harder to find. They say they are working as quickly as possible to fix the problem, but are not sure when it will be back up and running.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Anyone trying to get to a stop between Broadway Junction and Lorimer Street has to take a bus due to service disruptions on the L train line.
- Vice President Mike Pence gave a speech Sunday in remembrance of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. at a church service in Tennessee.Vice President Mike Pence gave a speech Sunday in remembrance of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. at a church service in Tennessee.
- Prince Harry has taken aim at the journalists who have dissected his life since the day he was born as he expressed regret for the way he has had to step down from royal duties.
- “Parasite” has officially infected Hollywood's award season. Bong Joon Ho’s Korean class satire became the first foreign language film to take top honors from the Screen Actors Guild.
- The Kansas City Chiefs will meet the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl on Feb. 2 in Miami.The Kansas City Chiefs will meet the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl on Feb. 2 in Miami.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.