Wind ADVISORY in effect for:
Former City Councilman Lew Fidler dead at 62Posted: Updated:
Lew Fidler, the former New York City councilman who represented southeastern Brooklyn for more than a decade, has died, according to elected officials. He was 62.
Fidler died after suffering a massive stroke before a planned family trip, according to his wife, Robin. She says he had been missing for several hours before he was located in an emergency room. He underwent surgery, but died Sunday morning.
Fidler served on the City Council from 2002 to 2013. He also ran unsuccessfully for a state Senate seat in a 2012 special election.
Robin Fidler says the family is heartbroken. She says she wants him to be remembered as a wonderful, loving and giving man.
City leaders, including the mayor and borough president, are voicing their condolences.
"As a member of the City Council, Lew embodied courage and compassion," Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted. "He was a champion and protector to runaway youth and some of the most vulnerable kids in our city."
"As an elected official, Lew Fidler was truly committed to fighting long and hard for those he served," tweeted Borough President Eric Adams. "He always stood up for what he believed in, with true courage in his convictions. Lew was a man of high integrity and strong moral values, a devoted husband and father."
Fidler was active for many years in Democratic politics, and had worked in Adams' office before his passing. Adams called Fidler a "vital member" of his team.
In addition to his wife, Fidler also leaves behind two sons.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police have made an arrest in connection to the deadly shooting at a Brownsville playground over the summer.
- ‘InfluenceHER’ is a News12+ exclusive original weekly series about local and national women influencing the worlds of business, beauty, fashion, sports, wellness and technology.
- Vice President Mike Pence says that Turkey has agreed to a cease-fire in Syria.Vice President Mike Pence says that Turkey has agreed to a cease-fire in Syria.
- Concejo municipal votará plan para cerrar Rikers y construir 4 penales más pequeños en NYC.Concejo municipal votará plan para cerrar Rikers y construir 4 penales más pequeños en NYC.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!