Monique Chandler-Waterman - A Vital Voice
A Vital Voice
Candidate for City Council District 45
1. What would be your top priority as a City Councilmember?
Education, Housing and Public Safety
2. What do you love about living in Brooklyn?
I love that Brooklyn is accessible, fast-paced and there is always something to do. Where in New York City can you walk down the street and have a stranger say, "Good Morning." I love the people of Brooklyn!
3. What was your biggest challenge in school?
Worrying about my brother as a young black man during challenging times.
4. How do we improve the public transit system?
We need to ensure ALL funds from congestion pricing toward the fixing the MTA. Further, we need to expand the bike sharing program.
5. What needs to be done to improve conditions at NYCHA complexes?
There should be more investment and residents need a voice in the decisions that impact their homes. Resident must have a voice at the table. There should also be support services onsite. The people in NYCHA housing need basic services.
6. Do you cook? What's your signature dish?
Yes, I do cook. Macaroni Pie is my signature dish.
7. If you could have dinner with any celebrity dead or alive, who would it be & why?
Shirley Chisholm. She is a national treasure and the ultimate role model for a black woman stepping into politics.
8. What your favorite Brooklyn pizza shop? Favorite toppings?
A & V Pizza. I love the memories that I get from this pizza shop, it's been around since I was in elementary schools. Unfortunately, they left their original location because the rent was too high. No toppings on my pizza.
9. What inspired you to get involved in politics?
I was inspired by my work at the office of then City Council-Member Jumaane Williams.
10. What’s your favorite movie? TV show? App?
Favorite Movie: Love and Basketball Favorite TV Show: Law and Order Favorite App: Citizen App
11. How do you like to spend a day off?
I like to spend time with my four children and husband doing simple things like going to the movies.
12. Any hidden talents?
Dancing to reggae music!