Rip Current STATEMENT in effect for:
22nd Brooklyn Film Festival kicks off todayPosted: Updated:
Attention film lovers - the Brooklyn Film Festival begins today, with dozens of handpicked selections in this year's lineup.
The festival, which is celebrating its 22nd edition, features 10 days of films at seven different locations across the borough.
“These filmmakers told a story that’s not only entertaining, but brings a weight to them,” says Brandon Harrison, feature documentary programmer.
After screening thousands of submissions, 133 feature and short films from more than 30 countries will be making their way to the screens.
“We are looking for fresh talent, young people, first or second film, but also fresh minds so among all these millions of people who make these films now there are talented people and we try to find them,” says Marco Ursino, executive director of the Brooklyn Film Festival.
Michael Dominic is the director of a documentary film called “Clean Hands.”
“I was a photojournalist on assignment with a newspaper in Nicaragua and a friend of mine suggested I visit the garbage dump and I realized I wanted to tell a story,” says Dominic.
Mariah Wilson is the director of “Silent Forests,” a film about elephant conservation.
“To finally have the film complete and to be premiering and to have our New York premiere at the Brooklyn Film Festival is amazing because it’s not just my hometown festival, it’s my home borough festival,” says Wilson.
The festival runs from May 31 to June 9 at two main venues, the Wythe Hotel in Williamsburg and Windmill Studios in Greenpoint.
Several other venues will also be screening films.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a woman sitting behind a woman wearing a hijab on a bus in Bensonhurst is accused of making anti-Muslim statements to her Friday.
- Dangerous algae blooms have been found in the water in Central Park and Prospect Park.Dangerous algae blooms have been found in the water in Central Park and Prospect Park.
- Gunfire lead to a crash that injured two pedestrians in Midwood early Sunday morning.Gunfire lead to a crash that injured two pedestrians in Midwood early Sunday morning.
- Police say they're searching for a man who punched a woman in the face at the Broadway Junction and East New York A and C trains subway station on Aug. 10.
- New York and New Jersey submitted a new plan for a rail tunnel project under the Hudson River that cuts nearly $1.5 billion off the previous cost estimate.
- Photos from the 44th Hampton Classic in Bridgehampton.Photos from the 44th Hampton Classic in Bridgehampton.
- First serve! Check out some of the food options at the 2019 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens.
- The 2019 MTV VMAs will be live from the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey on Monday, Aug. 26. Who can you expect to see as part of the star-studded night?
- The premiere for the sixth season of Starz's show "Power" was held Tuesday night at Madison Square Garden.
- Tie-dyed pilgrims and white-haired Woodstock festival veterans converged at the generation-defining site in Bethel, New York, this weekend to celebrate its 50th anniversary