Coastal Flood STATEMENT in effect for:
5 to file notice of policy brutality claim against NYPDPosted: Updated:
Five people accuse NYPD officers of excessive force over the weekend and have hired Brooklyn firm Rubenstein and Rynecki as they file a notice of claim against the NYPD and the city.
Family Day at the Marcy Houses was supposed to be a fun event Saturday, but three people have filed a notice of claim against the NYPD and the city for alleged brutality stemming from it. There were also alleged incidents in Bed-Stuy on Sunday at the Roosevelt Houses and Bainbridge Street, with two others seeking monetary damages.
"People who live here in Brooklyn were brutalized by the police. Two of whom have suffered fractured jaws as a result, one of whom may lose the sight in their eye as a result," says Sanford Rubenstein, of Rubenstein & Rynecki Law.
Ja-Nay Graham says she came down around 10:45 p.m. Saturday when she heard her nephew was arrested.
"When he tried to stand up to show me, you know, 'auntie I'm right here,' a officer that was inside the van with him just turned around and punched him in the face," says Graham.
Then she claims she tried to take out her phone to record what was happening, but an officer then struck her in the head.
A video shows one officer trying to stop the bleeding after she was hit. She now says she has headaches and five staples in her head. It's unclear why there was such a large police presence at the event.
"Why were the cops even there? You would have to ask the cops that, there's a lot of stories out in the community but we don't know what's really true," says Rubenstein.
The NYPD says in response that they are looking into the matter internally, and will review the matter once they are served the lawsuit. The city legal department says it has not been served with paperwork yet and has no comment.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An 85-year-old was fatally stabbed last Thursday night in East Flatbush, according to police.An 85-year-old was fatally stabbed Thursday night in East Flatbush, according to police.
- The On Barre - Barre Method works your lower body, including your thighs, glutes, hamstrings and calves.
- National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.National Florida Day recognizes the 27th state to join the United States.
- The National Transportation Safety Board says that they have determined what caused a tourist helicopter to crash into the East River, killing five people on board.
- A new banking development district is coming to Ocean Hill and Brownsville.A new banking development district is coming to Ocean Hill and Brownsville.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!