Supply-filled backpacks handed out at back-to-school giveawayPosted: Updated:
Dozens of students received brand new backpacks at an event on Saturday thanks to an organization that's focused on helping immigrants.
It was all part of the 11th annual Back To School Event by Make The Road.
About 200 backpacks were handed out to students, all donated by community members, Neighborhood Work Play Kids Theater, and writer Elisabet Velasquez. The event also included dancing, activities and even a performance by a clown.
And while the focus of the day's event was getting supply-filled backpacks to kids in time for the school year, the group's mission extends into other areas like fighting for housing, immigrant rights and education.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Brooklyn Neighborhood Brief for 9/15
- Police say a wallet was stolen at the Brighton Beach subway station Saturday.Police say a wallet was stolen at the Brighton Beach subway station Saturday.
- Here are some of the best photos of the week from the NFL's Week 1.Here are some of the best photos of the week from the NFL's Week 1.
- Some of the top drag queens from all over the world descended on New York City on Friday.Some of the top drag queens from all over the world descended on New York City on Friday.
- Looking for a place to listen to some music or see a local play? Here is a list of concert venues in the Tri-state area.
Are you or your kids heading back to school? News 12 wants to see your photos! Use the #BXBacktoSchool or #BKBacktoSchool on Instagram or Twitter and we may use your photos on News12.com or on air!
- Hurricane Dorian howled over North Carolina's Outer Banks on Friday - a much weaker version of the brute that wreaked havoc in the Bahamas.