NYCHA tenants: No gas at Howard Houses for 5 monthsPosted: Updated:
A handful of NYCHA tenants in the Howard Houses have been dealing with no gas for the past five months.
NYCHA officials say they are working to restore service as quickly as possible, but have not given an exact time frame. They say it's a matter of public safety, which is why the process has taken even longer.
Residents say they haven't been able to use their stovetops since March, creating a huge burden for them. NYCHA has said one building in the Howard Houses has been affected by this outage, but News 12 spoke with a handful of residents that say it's multiple buildings without gas.
According to NYCHA, the gas outage only has affected cooking and is unrelated to hot water and heat. NYCHA was able to give their residents hot plates to plug in and use as a temporary fix, but residents say the single plate is not helpful, forcing many to either go and purchase their own utilities or eat out.
NYCHA says the restoration process involves multiple steps and inspections, but they are working as quickly as possible to resolve the problem.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!