NYCHA tenants: No gas at Howard Houses for 5 monthsPosted: Updated:
A handful of NYCHA tenants in the Howard Houses have been dealing with no gas for the past five months.
NYCHA officials say they are working to restore service as quickly as possible, but have not given an exact time frame. They say it's a matter of public safety, which is why the process has taken even longer.
Residents say they haven't been able to use their stovetops since March, creating a huge burden for them. NYCHA has said one building in the Howard Houses has been affected by this outage, but News 12 spoke with a handful of residents that say it's multiple buildings without gas.
According to NYCHA, the gas outage only has affected cooking and is unrelated to hot water and heat. NYCHA was able to give their residents hot plates to plug in and use as a temporary fix, but residents say the single plate is not helpful, forcing many to either go and purchase their own utilities or eat out.
NYCHA says the restoration process involves multiple steps and inspections, but they are working as quickly as possible to resolve the problem.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, the head of the Diocese of Brooklyn, is being accused of sexual abuse.Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio, the head of the Diocese of Brooklyn, is being accused of sexual abuse.
- A civil rights complaint was filed against the Department of Education after a family claims a school lunch aide at P.S. 264 bullied and discriminated against a Muslim fourth grader.
- Two people are in custody after a person barricaded themselves inside an apartment in Brownsville.Two people are in custody after a person barricaded themselves inside an apartment in Brownsville.
- In his final weeks with the NYPD, Commissioner James O'Neill sat down with News 12 to reflect on his time with the department and as the city's top officer.
- Elected officials, community members and transit riders surrounded vendors Wednesday outside the Myrtle Wyckoff train station – and called on transit officers to stop arresting people selling churros in the subway stations.
- The tree will be decked out in more than 50,000 multicolored lights and crowned with its iconic star.
- Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.Shoppers can start their holiday shopping on Black Friday at these retailers.
- If you are looking to start your holiday shopping before the turkey is out of the oven, here are stores that will be opened for Thanksgiving.
- Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.Stars hit the red carpet for the world premiere of "Frozen 2" at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
- Styx at NYCB at WestburyStyx at NYCB at Westbury