Sunset Park’s Brooklyn Grange is NYC’s largest rooftop farmPosted: Updated:
A farming company has opened its newest rooftop location in Sunset Park.
At the top of the Liberty View Building in Sunset Park sits the largest rooftop farm in the city.
The Brooklyn Grange farm spans 140,000 acres and is the company's third location.
"A lot of people in New York City, especially children, don't really have a lot of opportunity to experience where food grows. This is very much like a connector or it's a link that gets people sort of a taste of it," says Ben Flanner, founder of Brooklyn Grange.
The farm grows over 60,000 pounds of vegetables a year that is offered to the public at the company's weekly farmer's market.
It even has storm drains that holds thousands of gallons of water.
"If we can get some scale of green roofs and other systems like this to essentially make New York City more of a sponge to absorb and hold a lot more of that water, then it would significantly decrease the amount of damage that comes every time we have a significant weather event,” says Flanner.
In order to sustain a rooftop farm, Flanner says having the perfect roof is essential.
"There's a lot of logistics and things that go into finding that perfect roof in terms of access and structural stability and scale etc. Then we install a drainage layer and protection system and from there we build up and we add our soil,” says Flanner.
The Brooklyn Grange Sunset Park location is open to the public every Sunday.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Shake Shack is testing out four-day work weeks.Shake Shack is testing out four-day work weeks.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.