DOH: Potentially deadly fungus found at Brooklyn nursing homePosted: Updated:
The city's Department of Health has confirmed a deadly fungus at a nursing home in Brooklyn.
Candida auris was discovered at the Palm Gardens Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation. It is a fungus that affects the blood and has caused severe illness and even death in hospitalized and nursing home patients.
An outbreak of candida auris started in 2016 in the state. There have been 881 confirmed cases with nearly 200 people dying since.
It is not currently known how many people at Palm Gardens Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation have been infected with the fungus.
The Department of Health says a hospital required infection report will be released later this year.
A spokesperson told News 12 that: "The Department of Health has made controlling the spread of C. auris a top priority and has conducted extensive training and education on infection control policies and procedures."
The statement went on to say, "We take complaints regarding quality of care extremely seriously and ensure all appropriate steps are taken to protect the health and well-being of nursing home residents."
News 12 reached out to Palm Gardens Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation for a response.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.
- Musicians from Brooklyn are getting ready for an upcoming showcase that celebrates all things Dolly Parton.
- This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.
- The National Wreaths Across America Day movement aims to cover all Veterans graves with a Christmas wreath.
- Recent hacks into security camera systems like Ring have sparked concern among homeowners nationwide.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.