New film 'Desrances' casts lead actor from BrooklynPosted: Updated:
The movie "Desrances" is being screened this weekend, and the lead actor has ties to our borough.
Jimmy Jean-Louis is a Haitian-born actor who used to live right along Vanderbilt Avenue in Brooklyn. He says a lot has changed since he last lived here.
The team behind "Desrances" is in New York City this weekend for the screening as well as the awards ceremony for Urbanworld Film Festival.
While Jean-Louis now calls Los Angeles his home, Brooklyn is where he got his start. He's proud to be a leading actor in the film, which details a man from Haiti who moves to the Ivory Coast.
In the film, the man marries and has a daughter and is overjoyed when his wife becomes pregnant with a son. However, it's the same time that a civil war breaks out in the African nation.
The director, who is from Burkina Faso, chose the accomplished actor because she felt he would be the best to tell the story. The director wanted to highlight the struggle that some countries face.
The director also wanted to highlight how women and girls are sometimes treated.
"It was interesting for me to portray that kind of character and very challenging as well because as a Haitian I've traveled my entire life, and the Haitian is always being pointed out and most of the time for the wrong reasons and I take a lot of pride to sort of correct that so to speak," said Jean-Louis.
This will also be Burkina Faso's official entry for The Oscars in the Foreign Language film category. That ceremony will be held in February 2020.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police are trying to track down a group of armed thieves they say held up five businesses across the borough.
- Un nuevo concurso de fotos busca poner presión al MTA para que limpie los vagones del metro mas seguido.
- The final trailer for the "Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker" debuted Monday, offering a fleeting glimpse of the late Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia embracing Daisy Ridley's Rey.
- Social media app TikTok has removed nearly two dozen accounts responsible for posting ISIS propaganda.
- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter has been hospitalized after a fall at his home in Plains, Georgia.
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez showed support for who she thinks should be the next president of the United States as she attended a Bernie Sanders rally in Queens Saturday.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.Family photos of Lesandro "Junior" Guzman-Feliz.