Jewish residents rally behind rabbi beaten with stone in Crown HeightsPosted: Updated:
Jewish community members rallied in unity at the spot where a rabbi was beaten with a stone.
Rabbi Abraham Gopin was left bloodied after a brutal attack in Lincoln Terrace Park in August.
On Wednesday, he ceremoniously blew the shofar in an early celebration of the Jewish New Year at the same park.
Gopin says he didn't want the community to be scared of the park.
"The best and only response for violence and bigotry and hatred is joy in faith and unity in solidarity," he says.
Organizers say it was a perfect time to give the park a new meaning right before the new year.
The man accused of the attack was taken into custody and is currently awaiting his court date.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Recent acts of vandalism in Bay Ride have been a cause for concern for the area's district leader, who is proposing adding more police officers in the area.
- House Democrats are poised to unveil two articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump over his actions in the Ukraine matter, with an announcement expected early Tuesday.
- White Castle is recalling some of its frozen burgers.White Castle is recalling some of its frozen burgers.
- A New York celebrity is encouraging people to consider opening their home to a teenager in need.A New York celebrity is encouraging people to consider opening their home to a teenager in need.
- New York saw its first reduction in opioid overdose deaths in almost 10 years, according to the Heroin and Opioid Task Force Progress Report that looked at numbers from 2018.