Park Slope barbershop Cowlick hosts 'Pay What You Can' dayPosted: Updated:
A barber in Park Slope curbed costs in Brooklyn for customers while helping a good cause.
Cowlick barbershop hosted a "Pay What You Can" day on Monday. Customers could get a haircut and pay anywhere from $5 to $100, or simply what they could afford.
Vivian Strosberg says this is the second time her shop Cowlick has done something like this.
"They don't have to tell us how much they're paying, they don't have to pay anything if they don't want to and we figured on top of that why not give back to the community at large," said Strosberg.
Strosberg says a lot of people view hairstyling as an unnecessary expense, so they typically push it off.
She wants to make it accessible for everyone, particularly the queer community.
Strosberg says the community can face added financial burdens and that offering this service is valuable. Customers say they enjoy not only getting pampered but also helping a good cause.
All of the money goes toward a different nonprofit each time. The money raised on Monday will help Trans LifeLine, which helps with critical services within the trans community.
There's no set date for the next event, but the shop will post it on social media when they have decided.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- An arrest has been made in connection to a deadly stabbing that happened in September.An arrest has been made in connection to a deadly stabbing that happened in September.
It's a battle for bragging rights! News 12 is looking for the schools with the most school spirit! Is it yours?
- There are thousands of kids in New York City looking for permanent homes.
- Lady Gaga falls off stage during Las Vegas show after fan picks her up
- George Springer and Carlos Correa each hit three-run homers and the Houston Astros got another wild ace off the hook to beat the sloppy New York Yankees 8-3 Thursday night and reach the cusp of a second World Series visit in three years.George Springer and Carlos Correa each hit three-run homers and the Houston Astros got another wild ace off the hook to beat the sloppy New York Yankees 8-3 Thursday night and reach the cusp of a second World Series visit in three years.
- Heavy right and high winds swept through the tri-state area due to a large coast storm on the night of Oct. 16. Here are your photos from the storm.
- Photos on the field of the New York Yankees in the 2019 American League Division Series vs. the Minnesota Twins.
News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding. If you were married in the past 90 days, please submit your photos via Twitter or Instagram using #JustMarriedBK.
Looking to check out brewery this summer? There are many breweries across the boroughs for beer-lovers to visit.
It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!