Sister duo designs, sells Nigerian clothing and accessories that help benefit NigeriaPosted: Updated:
Two sisters left behind their corporate jobs to pursue a passion to help others.
Cee Cee's Closet NYC showcases Nigerian culture that Brooklyn-natives Chioma and Uchenna Ngwudo grew up with in a variety of clothing and accessories.
It was a trip to Nigeria more than four years ago that sparked the creation of Cee Cee's Closet NYC, an online store out of Bed-Stuy.
“I got us these really cute clutches and when I brought them here, people fell in love; they were always asking about it, they wanted their own too,” says Chioma Ngwudo, co-founder.
The young entrepreneur brought her older sister on to design bags, head wraps and clothing.
"Make sure that our brand had a very contemporary edge so that people could feel that ‘oh this is something I could wear to work or something I could wear to church or something I could wear to a birthday party or out to brunch with my girls,’” says Uchenna Ngwudo, co-founder.
The items incorporate their Nigerian culture, but also give back to the west African country. All the products are manufactured there, providing a wage that workers can live comfortably on.
"We're then able to produce a sustainable income for them so that they can do things like repair their shops, they can send their kids to schools, they can buy cars, they can really have the opportunity to live a fulfilling life,” says Chioma.
The duo wants to eventually open a brick and mortar location.
Another goal includes partnering with more African countries.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.Police say a group of teens is wanted for robbing another teenager in Sheepshead Bay on Dec. 5.
- Musicians from Brooklyn are getting ready for an upcoming showcase that celebrates all things Dolly Parton.
- This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.This week's workout comes from Jon at Synergy. He goes over a circuit to work your lower body.
- The National Wreaths Across America Day movement aims to cover all Veterans graves with a Christmas wreath.
- Recent hacks into security camera systems like Ring have sparked concern among homeowners nationwide.
- Red carpet arrivals at The Concert for The Rainforest Fund at the Beacon TheatreThe Rainforest Fund 30th anniversary benefit concert was held Monday at the Beacon Theatre in New York City.
- From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!From sparking holiday lights to fun Santa photos, News 12 wants to see your holiday photos!
- December has already brought some snow to the tri-state area. Here's how the snow looked through your lens.
- A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.A new lantern festival has taken over Citi Field, lighting up the sky starting Friday.
- The 87th annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree lighting ceremony was held Wednesday, Dec. 4, 2019 in New York.