Death of man found in Brownsville fire ruled a homicidePosted: Updated:
The death of a man found dead inside a Brownsville building up in flames earlier this week has been ruled a homicide.
Now, investigators are working to figure out who killed him and why.
Two days after the fire, emergency responders on scene were replaced by fire marshals and crime scene officers in order to dig up more evidence.
Authorities confirmed with News 12 that the victim is 64-year-old Hugh Kirkland. Investigators say they discovered four stab wounds on his body.
Kirkland's brother says Hugh was an Army veteran who served in the 1970s, and was popular in their neighborhood.
"I think he touched their lives in a certain way. He made you laugh. He was always funny, you know?" said Chris Kirkland.
Fire marshals also ruled that the fire was intentionally set.
It is still unclear whether Kirkland died from the stab wounds he sustained or as a result of the basement fire he was trapped in.
The medical examiner has yet to issue a cause of death at this time.
The Department of Buildings has issued a full-vacate order for the building, so the families that lived there have now been displaced.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!