3-alarm fire rips through 33 units in Van Dam Street warehousePosted: Updated:
Extensive damage was left behind Friday after a fire ripped through a wood workshop on in Greenpoint.
The flames broke out at the building on Van Dam Street around 2:30 a.m.
More than 130 firefighters responded, and it took them nearly three hours to get the fire under control.
An employee at the warehouse, Angel Chicas, came straight to the scene after hearing the news.
"Somebody called me at like four in the morning, he said, 'hey Angel,' my name is Angel Chicas, they said 'your shop is burning' so I tried to reach everybody, my boss and nobody picked up the phone," says Chicas.
Chicas tells News 12 the last employee left the warehouse around 10 p.m.
FDNY officials say no one was inside when the fire started, and no one was injured.
Crews were able to contain the fire to the one warehouse, but a business next door did see some water damage.
As for the woodshop, someone who works there tells News 12 there are about 24 employees who are now uncertain about their jobs.
The FDNY is investigating the cause of the fire.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Since 1984, The Black Lady Theatre has been home to activism and the arts, and now its future is up in the air.
- A New Jersey family received the surprise of a lifetime – twice – thanks to Ellen DeGeneres.A New Jersey family received the surprise of a lifetime – twice – thanks to Ellen DeGeneres.
- Seniors at the Carmine Carro Community Center in Marine Park are leading an effort to install parking spots
- New York Yankees great Derek Jeter headlines this year's Baseball Hall of Fame class, slated for induction July 26.
- Following several deadly accidents along Brooklyn's busiest corridors, 3rd and Hamilton avenues are seeing some changes to their speed limits.
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.