Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
Police: 50 cars in Bay Ridge vandalized last weekendPosted: Updated:
A community council meeting at the 68th Precinct in Bay Ridge Wednesday night focused on an issue that has had many residents concerned.
Dozens of cars were found vandalized in a matter of days in the area of Shore Road. Police say more than 50 vehicles were hit over the weekend alone.
Councilman Justin Brannan said there is a $5,000 reward for any information leading to the arrest of the person responsible.
Police say they believe it is someone with a sharp object acting alone, based from surveillance video.
Both marked and unmarked police cars patrol the area at night, according to police. Two additional light towers have also been put up.
The Department of Transportation says it plans to install new lighting along Shore Road in the coming months.
Sen. Andrew Gounardes is asking the public to turn on outside lights, and if anyone in the area has a surveillance camera, to make sure it faces the road.
- Police are on the hunt for the person responsible for a string of robberies in the borough.Police are on the hunt for the person responsible for a string of robberies in the borough.
- A woman has died after being struck by a vehicle in Bensonhurst Thursday morning, police say.A woman has died after being struck by a vehicle in Bensonhurst Thursday morning, police say.
- Shots broke out outside a Bushwick elementary school Wednesday morning.Shots broke out outside a Bushwick elementary school Wednesday morning.
- A man is wanted for breaking into a home in Park Slope last Friday.A man is wanted for breaking into a home in Park Slope last Friday.
- A vandal was caught on camera using a brick to try and break into a car in Flatbush over the weekend.A vandal was caught on camera using a brick to try and break into a car in Flatbush over the weekend.
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Snow is on tap for this weekend, with the heaviest accumulation in the evening.Snow is on tap for this weekend, with the heaviest accumulation in the evening.
- Local leaders are demanding answers after a Bensonhurst woman's life was tragically cut short after a hit-and-run.
- Staff from four schools within the Diocese of Brooklyn met at St. Joseph the Worker Catholic Academy to learn how to respond to a potential active shooter.
- Brooklyn rapper Pop Smoke was in federal court after being arrested on charges that he transported a stolen Rolls Royce across the state lines.
- Student loan debt has crossed the $1.6 trillion mark, more than double what it was in 2010.Student loan debt has crossed the $1.6 trillion mark, more than double what it was in 2010.