Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
Marlborough Houses residents: No gas to cook Thanksgiving meal this yearPosted: Updated:
Residents at the Marlborough Houses say they are fed up living without gas.
They tell News 12 it's been two months since they have been without gas to power simple appliances like the oven, and now it's putting a damper on the holidays.
One resident says she cooks with her granddaughter every Thanksgiving, but this was the first year they haven't had a turkey. She says she had to borrow a toaster oven and buy pre-made food at the grocery store.
“It’s frustrating. It angers me because it is included in our rent,” says Margie Simmons.
Councilman Mark Treyger tells News 12 he's trying to get to the bottom of the problem, insisting that NYCHA deliver Thanksgiving meals to residents.
NYCHA confirmed that 57 meals were handed out. They say the outage is due to a leak in the building's heater and that work will begin on Monday.
NYCHA added a statement saying in part, "We can only restore gas when the root cause of the outage is fully addressed, testing is complete, safety is ensured and we have sign off by the provider."
Residents tell News 12 that no timeline has been given to them about when gas will be restored. They say they hope it is restored for Christmas.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Sources confirmed with News 12 that one of the people shot inside a kosher grocery store in Jersey City was from Brooklyn.
- A storm that's bringing rain to the borough to start the week could deliver a burst of snowfall Wednesday morning, potentially making for a messy commute.
- The National Weather Service has issued an advisory from 3 a.m. until 11 a.m.The National Weather Service has issued an advisory from 3 a.m. until 11 a.m.
- President Bill Clinton visited New York City Tuesday to check out some of the work supported by the Clinton Foundation.
- Cardi B was back in court Tuesday in connection to a fight that happened at a Queens strip club last year.Cardi B was back in court Tuesday in connection to a fight that happened at a Queens strip club last year.