FDNY: Space heater caused fatal fire in Flatbush

Posted: Updated:

A space heater was the cause of Monday's fire in Flatbush that left one dead and sent multiple people to the hospital, according to the FDNY.

The FDNY says that the fire was accidental, electrical and caused by a space heater plugged into a power strip. It says the fire broke out at around 5 a.m.

Seven people were taken to the hospital, five of them with minor injuries and the others with more serious injuries. Witnesses say one man identified as 70-year-old Jean Lalanne, who lived in the building at 1776 Nostrand Ave., jumped from his window.

He later died due to his injuries. Neighbors say he was too sick to walk down the stairs, which is why they say he jumped out the window.

Cleanup is now underway and officials continue to warn residents that using a strip to power a space heater may be dangerous.

The U.S. Department of Energy is also advising owners to have their vented space heaters professionally inspected each year. They say to pick a heater that is the right size for your room.

MORE: Fire officials: Fire in East Flatbush kills 1 person

 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."