Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
Brooklyn pizzeria continues its expansion across the countryPosted: Updated:
From Atlantic Avenue to across the heartland, Table 87 Coal Oven Pizza is being served nationally.
Right now, it's in the Northeast and the Mid-Atlantic, while continuing to expand to new markets every day.
"Some places I thought we'd never reach, we're in and growing. Every day more, more," says owner Thomas Cucco.
Cucco got the idea for the store in 2011 when he realized there wasn't a place to get a coal oven pizza by the slice. He opened the shop in Brooklyn Heights in 2012.
"So, as a kid growing up in Brooklyn, my thing was 'How do I get a coal oven slice of pizza when you got to buy the whole pie?' I couldn't afford the whole pie. I was a kid,'" says Cucco.
The Bay Ridge native says being a contestant on "Shark Tank" in 2015 motivated him to sell frozen slices on a broader scale.
"I needed more people looking at this brand. So I was in my local coffee shop, and I sent an email to "Shark Tank." Figured let me take a shot. I watch the show all the time. I figured I would do great on it. And sure enough, six weeks later, I got called," Cucco recalls.
Table 87 Coal Oven Pizza also managed to get a spot on the shelves of the new Wegmans.
"We're in the one store in the Navy Yard, but we will be in all 100 Wegmans. The deal was to get it to the one store for them so they could open the place up and have our pizza on the shelf," Cucco explains.
Cucco says customers appreciate getting a New York slice of pizza, even if they live out of state. He says, "We get a lot of fan mail from all over the country saying our pizza is so great and how much they love it."
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Snow is now falling in Brooklyn, with the heaviest accumulation expected for Saturday evening.Snow is now falling in Brooklyn, with the heaviest accumulation expected for Saturday evening.
- Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles "royal highness" or receive public funds under a deal struck Saturday for them to step aside as senior royals.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- Over a dozen people who lived inside a home that offers mental health services were sent to the hospital Friday night.
- Police are searching for a man accused of burglarizing a home in Marine Park last week.Police are searching for a man accused of burglarizing a home in Marine Park last week.
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.