Local leaders, family honor firefighter Steven PollardPosted: Updated:
Mayor Bill de Blasio, local leaders, family, friends and colleagues on Monday honored firefighter Steven Pollard, who died last year in the line of duty.
Pollard was honored with a plaque dedication ceremony at Engine 257 and Ladder 170 in Canarsie. People from all over the community showed up to remember a man who lost his life trying to save others.
The 30-year-old firefighter plunged more than 50 feet through a gap on the Belt Parkway last year while trying to help people who had just been in a car crash.
Many described Pollard as a man of few words, who had a strong work ethic and a beautiful heart. They say his dream was always to work at Ladder 170.
While Pollard only worked there for about a year and a half, those who got to know him well say in that short time they got to know a man who always put others before himself and was a hero.
They say it's not just the new plaque that will ensure that Pollard's legacy lives on - but also the love he shared with the entire community.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.A vicious attack on restaurant workers in Flatbush was caught on camera, police say.
- Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.Tragedia en NJ: Muere niño que cayó en lago congelado.
- A Bushwick couple who felt places for people of color and the queer community were lacking has started their own community space.
- Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.Here's a look at what's going on this weekend in Brooklyn.
- New animated comedy on HBO Max pokes fun at British royal family
- Sights and scenes from the 2020 SAG AwardsSights and scenes from the 2020 SAG Awards
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.News 12 Brooklyn wants to announce your wedding.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.
- It's a celebration! Is your or a loved one's birthday coming up? Let us know! Send us your photos and you could end up on air and News12.com!