Winter Weather ADVISORY in effect for:
Overnight Ditmas Park barbershop burglary caught on cameraPosted: Updated:
A man was caught on camera breaking into Leon’s Barbershop in Newkirk Plaza and even though he got away with $196, the footage shows that the money was not even his target.
Just before the new year, video obtained by News 12 shows that he did not go for the cash in the register right away because he was aiming to rob the jewelry store next door. After smashing his way into the barbershop, police say, he attempted to drill a hole through the wall between the two businesses.
“We had a lot of damage,” barbershop owner Leon Kogut said. “He broke my window. He broke my wall. He made a mess here.”
He was not able to get into the jewelry store because of an alarm system, so he settled for the money and escaped. He left four dollars in the register.
“He left me four singles,” Kogut said. “He left money for the coffee for me.”
Kogut was impressed by the man’s work and ingenuity; however, he could only feel disappointed by how those traits were used. "I'd like to tell him that you better get a good job you know because he seems like he is a very handyman, he knows what to do, he has a lot of tools - better job not to go to rob somebody,”
Business owners in the plaza told News 12 that this recent incident is just the latest example of what has been an alarming trend of burglaries in the area. The president of the Newkirk Plaza Merchants Association, Javier Saezl, told News 12 that before he could count on one hand the number of burglaries in the area.
“Now within six months, my hands are full,” Saezl said.
- Police have released new images of a man wanted in connection to a shooting in Brownsville on Dec. 27.Police have released new images of a man wanted in connection to a shooting in Brownsville on Dec. 27.
- Police are on the hunt for the person responsible for a string of robberies in the borough.Police are on the hunt for the person responsible for a string of robberies in the borough.
- A woman has died after being struck by a vehicle in Bensonhurst Thursday morning, police say.A woman has died after being struck by a vehicle in Bensonhurst Thursday morning, police say.
- Shots broke out outside a Bushwick elementary school Wednesday morning.Shots broke out outside a Bushwick elementary school Wednesday morning.
- A man is wanted for breaking into a home in Park Slope last Friday.A man is wanted for breaking into a home in Park Slope last Friday.
Brooklyn Top StoriesTop StoriesMore>>
- Snow is now falling in Brooklyn, with the heaviest accumulation expected for Saturday evening.Snow is now falling in Brooklyn, with the heaviest accumulation expected for Saturday evening.
- Buckingham Palace says Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan, will no longer use the titles "royal highness" or receive public funds under a deal struck Saturday for them to step aside as senior royals.
- Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!Have a great or fun photo during snowstorms in January 2020? We want to see them!
- Over a dozen people who lived inside a home that offers mental health services were sent to the hospital Friday night.
- Police are searching for a man accused of burglarizing a home in Marine Park last week.Police are searching for a man accused of burglarizing a home in Marine Park last week.
- According to the National Retail Federation, Americans were expected to spend $490 million on costumes for their pets this past Halloween. But there's another special day to celebrate your furry friend!
- The National Board of Review assembled many of the regulars of this year’s awards season in the annual, untelevised gala dinner at Cipriani’s 42nd Street in midtown Manhattan.
- The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.The stars of the film "Like a Boss" hit the red carpet Tuesday in New York City for the premiere.
- Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.Here's a list of some highly anticipated movies coming out in 2020.
- A 6.4-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico, killing one man, injuring at least eight other people and collapsing buildings in the southern part of the island.