Brooklyn man suing state for $100 million after wrongful murder conviction

A Brooklyn man is suing the state for $100 million after he says he spent more than 24 years behind bars for a murder he did not commit.

News 12 Staff

Feb 20, 2020, 10:31 PM

Updated 1,577 days ago

Share:

A Brooklyn man is suing the state for $100 million after he spent more than 24 years behind bars for a murder he did not commit.
In 1996, Christian Pacheco was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison in connection to the murder of Lemuel Cruz. However, he says he has maintained his innocence and that his only involvement was trying to save Cruz.
"I don't regret helping him, honestly, I don't. That's the kind of person that I am," said Pacheco.
Now, he's suing the state for $100 million. He says he deserves compensation for being wrongfully convicted and for missing out on most of his son's life, who was only one at the time of his arrest.
Pacheco's conviction was vacated and his indictment was dismissed last week.
"I think hasn't hit me fully. I haven't been able to sleep, but I feel blessed," said Pacheco.
He says since then, his son even got married and had a baby girl. He also says his son is in the Navy, so he hasn't seen or met his family yet.
As for what is next, he says he can't wait to finally be reunited with his son and meet his granddaughter.
News 12 reached out to the state Attorney General's Office and has not heard back yet.


More from News 12