Elderly couple is fighting for better living conditions

News 12 spoke to NYCHA and they said this couple is currently on the waitlist for a new unit.

Shniece Archer

Jul 3, 2024, 12:33 AM

Updated 21 days ago

Share:

A Crown Heights couple reached out for help from News 12, saying they don't feel safe in their own apartment.
Emotions consumed Angel Rodriguez Tuesday afternoon as he reflected on the last three years living in this NYCHA apartment on Saint Mark's Avenue.
"I don't care if I die today, I don't care all I care is about her to have a decent place she could live," said Rodrigez.
He moved in with his wife and said it's become a nightmare.
"I hear a lot of people in this building complain about the odor of gas and I'm afraid that the whole building will blow up," said Rodriguez.
Last Wednesday, the fire department went to the apartment and explained that a pipeline was the reason gas was shut off for almost a week. NYCHA employees gave him a new stove Tuesday and stopped by to make sure there was no gas emergency but that's not his only concern.
The FDNY found carbon monoxide inside his vents a few months ago and fumes covered the paper.
Rodriguez is also 83 years old with severe asthma and has been to the hospital 20 times.
He said he explained to NYCHA he needs a new home and has been waiting for more than a year.
"I just want to move out of here this apartment to move to another building," said Rodriguez.
News 12 spoke to NYCHA and they said this couple is currently on the waitlist for a new unit.


More from News 12