FDNY: Fatal Metropolitan Avenue fire likely caused by electrical issues

The Williamsburg fire that killed a grandmother Monday night was likely the result of an electrical problem, the FDNY says. Officials say Patricia Serrano was trapped in the Metropolitan Avenue building

News 12 Staff

Mar 30, 2016, 3:06 AM

Updated 2,946 days ago

Share:

FDNY: Fatal Metropolitan Avenue fire likely caused by electrical issues
The Williamsburg fire that killed a grandmother Monday night was likely the result of an electrical problem, the FDNY says.
Officials say Patricia Serrano was trapped in the Metropolitan Avenue building as it burned around 10:45 p.m. Rescuers brought her to Woodhull Hospital in critical condition, but she later died from her injuries. They say four other people sustained minor injuries. The fire also killed a dog.
The building had no working smoke detectors, according to officials. They say the blaze began in a first-floor apartment and spread upward in the six-story building. Serrano lived on the third floor.
According to officials, the building was inspected within the last 24 hours for faulty wiring. 
Serrano was a retired medical assistant and an active member of the Williamsburg community, neighbors say. She attended the nearby senior center and volunteered at a food pantry on Tuesdays.


More from News 12