FDNY offers space heater safety tips as temps dip to extreme cold
Space heaters can be a great way to keep warm, but can be dangerous when used improperly.
The FDNY is offering some tips to make sure people are using them safely as temperatures dip into extremely cold temperatures:
- Place your space heater at least three feet away from anything that can catch fire, such as clothing, bedding or furniture
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater.
- Keep young children and pets away from the heaters.
- Avoid using space heaters in bathrooms or other areas where they may encounter water.
- Using kerosene or propane for space heaters is illegal.