Fire officials: Brighton Beach boardwalk fire sparked by lit cigarette

A popular restaurant on the Brighton Beach boardwalk went up in flames Sunday night, and fire officials say they believe the fire started underneath the boardwalk.

News 12 Staff

Apr 15, 2019, 9:37 PM

Updated 1,834 days ago

Share:

A popular restaurant on the Brighton Beach boardwalk went up in flames Sunday night, and fire officials say they believe the fire started underneath the boardwalk.
Witness cellphone video shows the flames covering the bottom half of the five-story building where Tatiana Restaurant stands.
Fire officials say a lit cigarette left on a mattress underneath the boardwalk caused the fire. They believe it started a rubbish fire that worked itself up to the Brighton Beach restaurant and nightclub. The same area has dealt with two fires since 2003.
More than 100 firefighters came to the scene around 10 p.m. Sunday.
No injuries have been reported and residents in the above apartments have not been affected by the damage of the fire.


More from News 12