Rebuilding Brooklyn
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files
LIRR latest

Hundreds of protesters push back on controversial men's shelter construction in Bensonhurst

Crews were seen adding a security gate, removing debris and moving a large truck to the lot, separated from protesters by a heavy police presence and barricades.

Rob Flaks

Mar 30, 2026, 5:42 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Hundreds of protesters gathered outside of the site of a proposed men's shelter in Bensonhurst on Monday as construction on the project began on Palm Sunday evening.

Crews were seen adding a security gate, removing debris and moving a large truck to the lot, separated from protesters by a heavy police presence and barricades.

The activity comes after DSS told News 12 construction was a "long way off" after a similar protest took place last week over fears of renewed activity for a project DSS says was stalled under the Adams administration but has resumed under the Mamdani administration.

DSS says the center will have wrap-around services, work to bring those inside into permanent housing programs and be equipped with both security personnel and cameras.

However, residents who oppose the project say it sits too close to schools and a train station, calling instead for the lot to be used for affordable or senior housing. Many told News 12 that they feel the construction started when it did to catch residents there off guard.

"With the city's track record, and how they are doing this construction, people do not trust the city, no matter how big or great they say this shelter will be," said CM Susan Zhuang, adding "We not communication, a timeline and transparency."

DSS tells News 12 the shelter will be the first of its kind in the area, but residents fear that the shelter will bring homeless from other parts of the city.

“This is a middle-class neighborhood, you don't have vagrants on the street here, but you watch no one from this neighborhood will be using this," said Bensonhurst resident Louis Stuto.

The project is still slated for a late 2027 opening.

More Stories

Top Stories

00:36
FIFA World Cup

NYC partners with NY and NJ Host Committee to secure 1,000 affordable World Cup tickets

00:53
KLNFULTONSTPARTIALCOLLAPSE52126830A_2026-05-21-12-00-53

Supermarket in Cypress Hill to remain closed after partial collapse

01:15
NYCR

Rain and cooler temperatures in Brooklyn

00:15
shooting investigate image

Two people injured in Bed-Stuy shooting

AP25167649344356

Joey Chestnut to defend hot dog eating title while on probation after pleading guilty to battery

01:56
521edricstormafteramth_2026-05-21-06-26-18

Overnight storms topple trees, leaves behind damage across Brooklyn

00:36
Fire truck generic

Firefighter, two civilians injured in Red Hook apartment blaze

01:53
521rebuildingbrooklyn_2026-05-21-06-50-39

Kensington streets get flood-fighting makeover led by trailblazing NYC engineer

02:06
rtdesert5spotnyCM_2026-05-20-22-59-18

Desert 5 Spot brings the Wild West to Williamsburg

01:37
myrtleave2ndalarmfireCM_2026-05-20-22-33-43

2-alarm fire in Bushwick injures 1 firefighter, displaces multiple tenants

kevingavinpleadeal1030pmCM_2026-04-24-22-39-07

Brooklyn serial killer sentenced to 30 years to life in prison for the murders of 3 elderly NYCHA residents

01:59
abandonedcarparkedforweeksCM_2026-05-20-22-47-35

Abandoned cars in Kensington raise concerns from homeowners

01:13
sackettststabbingUPDATE530pZC_2026-05-20-17-38-35

Stabbing inside Gowanus supportive housing building sparks safety concerns

02:01
disabilityprogramcutsCM_2026-05-20-22-18-10

Disability advocates warn Independence Care System closure could be ‘life‑changing’

02:07
KLNREMEMBERINGERYKACALDWELL0520530P_2026-05-20-17-53-27

Family and friends remember woman allegedly stabbed to death by boyfriend in Bushwick apartment

00:29
erinmerdysentencingthumb

Coney Island mother sentenced for drowning her 3 young children in the ocean

LaGuardia

Sinkhole at LaGuardia Airport shuts down runway

00:22
o

Child injured after hand gets stuck in J train door

00:43
cooperstfatalstabbingarraign1030pZC_2026-05-19-22-42-05

Bushwick man arraigned for allegedly stabbing woman to death during domestic dispute

Inmate Death

40-year-old man dies while in custody at Rikers Island; second inmate death in 24 hours

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices