'It was very scary.' Tenant claims growing mold on apartment ceiling turned into mushrooms

Tamika Aviles says she's been dealing with this issue since March of this year and says it was caused due to water leaks in the apartment over on Third Avenue. 

Elly Morillo and

News 12 Staff

Oct 10, 2023, 2:24 AM

Updated 230 days ago

Share:

A Melrose tenant says the growing mold inside of her apartment has now morphed into the unexpected - mushrooms. 
Tamika Aviles says she's been dealing with this issue since March of this year and says it was caused due to water leaks in the apartment over on Third Avenue. 
"I noticed like a dark spot in the ceiling and the leaks continued again. The super had come by and done like a quick paint job over one of the leaks, I believe that was in May and then the leaks continued once rainfall started and recently, we've got literally mushrooms," said Aviles. 
Aviles tells News 12 she began reporting the issue to the city in April and has also reached out to management on a weekly basis. Aviles has also filed numerous Housing Preservation and Development complaints. 
News 12 reached out to HPD, they released a statement saying:
"HPD is taking action requiring the landlord to improve conditions and bring about the best possible solution. Our inspectors visited the apartment last week in response to a 311 complaint and filed multiple violations as a result, including to address a leak and mold problem in the unit. We will continue to monitor the situation and ensure the landlord is upholding their responsibility to maintain a healthy standard of living." 
Aviles says she has been stood up twice by management after scheduling two appointments to fix the issue, telling News 12 she fears for her daughter, who has a heart condition.
"She has a serious heart condition, so it was very scary not only could you smell the mold in the apartment, it was very scary to have anything growing from your ceiling," said Aviles. 
Aviles says her fear now is that the leaks are spreading in her kitchen and may reach the light fixture. 


More from News 12