‘I will rebuild it.’ Melrose pizzeria charred in fire; e-bike possibly to blame
Pepe Joe's Brick Oven Pizzeria was damaged in a fire early Monday morning, leaving owner Silvestre Caamano distraught.
The entire front section of the Melrose restaurant was charred. The pizzeria has been at its Cortlandt Avenue location for 26 years.
"The back of my kitchen is not really burnt out,” Caamano told News 12, who pointed out holes in the roof. “I will rebuild it again because I have been here for so long.”
Caamano blamed an e-bike that had been used by delivery drivers. He said it was plugged in for more than 24 hours before sparking the fire.
The FDNY says it took 12 units and 60 firefighters to get the fire under control in about an hour. There were no injuries.
Caamano says he spoke to his insurance broker about the next steps he should take.