Experts share safety tips as NYC prepares for wintry weekend
New York City is preparing for a wintry weekend with both snow and rain in the forecast. While experts say the safest thing to do is stay home, AAA says there are safety precautions you can take.
AAA recommends having an ice scraper on hand and checking your vehicle before the precipitation starts to fall.
"We're talking about fresh windshield wipers, washer fluid, very important. Tires have to be pumped up to the proper pressure to deal with these kind of situations. I know there are people out there who think that you should lower your tire pressure and it gives you more traction. No, that just makes your tire more prone to overheating and failing catastrophically, known as a blowout," said Robert Sinclair Jr., from AAA Northeast.
When it comes to protecting your property, you can pick up supplies at your local hardware store.
"For the winter time, we have the shovels, ice melt, snowblowers, and salt spreaders," said Freddy Khamis at One Stop Hardware in Canarsie.
The Department of Sanitation says it invested $450 million in new trucks ahead of this winter. It has been 690 days since an inch of snow fell on New York City.
Winter Storm Preps:
- 25 tips to keep you safe during a winter storm
- 9 tips to prepare your vehicle for the frigid temperatures
- These 20 tips will help you travel safely during winter storms
- CAUTION! 9 tips to keep you safe on the road and at home during winter weather conditions
- Guide: How to protect yourself from extreme cold
- IT’S TIME TO SHOVEL! 10 tips to help you dig out safely