NYPD: Crime in East New York down by 50%

Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez pointed to frequent gun buyback events as a key factor in reducing gun violence.

Daniella Rodriguez

Apr 4, 2025, 2:45 AM

Updated 20 hr ago

Share:

The NYPD has announced new crime statistics revealing a marked decline in gun violence, especially in East New York, with crime dropping by more than 50% in the area.
"We’re seeing incredible progress," Tisch said. "In both our East New York and Melrose zones, crime is down by more than 50%, with zero shootings so far this year."
Police confirmed a shooting did occur on Jan. 1, when a 39-year-old man was shot multiple times.
A.T. Mitchell-Mann, founder of the community group "MAN UP," expressed disappointment over the incident but emphasized the ongoing success of their efforts.
"We were not happy to learn about that incident," Mitchell-Mann said. "But we've had a long streak of no shootings or killings in this area, and this is a reminder of how important it is to keep working together."
Local residents also shared their appreciation for the positive changes in their neighborhood.
"It's just a really good community," said Anthony Sims, a resident of East New York. "We’ve got good people here, and it’s been a big change. We really appreciate our officers and the whole community."
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez pointed to frequent gun buyback events as a key factor in reducing gun violence. The most recent event resulted in the recovery of nearly 100 firearms, which Gonzalez believes have saved countless lives.
"The fewest number of people ever shot in the history of Brooklyn happened last year," Gonzalez said. "And right now, in 2025, the first three months of the year, we’re on pace to beat that."
As gun violence continues to decline, many Brooklyn residents are hopeful for a safer future, not only for themselves and their families but for their entire community.