Protesters continue to rally against city's plan to house 2,000 migrants at Floyd Bennett Field
Dozens of protesters rallied outside of Floyd Bennett Field in Marine Park on Monday, calling on elected officials to call off an agreement between the federal government and the city to house at least 2,000 asylum seekers there.
City Council Member Joann Ariola and state Assembly Member Jaime WIlliams encouraged constituents to continue rallying in shifts against the plan, with hopes of the plan being suspended.
This follows a series of rallies and outcries to the city, state and federal governments over the plan. A Google document, shared by Ariola’s office, allows those interested to fill out ahead of the rallies. It also includes days and times constituents can select that work best for them.
"There are signs by the National Park Service that says, 'roads may flood'. How crazy is that? Roads may flood but, they’re going to put migrant on a road that may flood," said Barbara Davis, who lives nearby.
Gov. Kathy Hochul introduced the plan, which had been in negotiations with the federal government for months. An agreement was reached in September between the city and the federal government to use the land for housing migrants. The state said it would pay for the expenses related to the efforts.
Other protesters who chose to remain anonymous told News 12 the land itself is unfit "There's no water, there’s wasteland, and there’s schools that play sports every day where our citizens are," he said.
Ariola, Williams, and state Assemblymember Stacey Pheffer Amato filed a lawsuit in September against the city and state over the agreement. The lawsuit was filed in state court, but was moved up to the federal courts, only to be deemed the case should be tried in state court.