Cellphone battery explodes, forces emergency landing of Spirit Airlines flight
A Spirit Airlines flight from Dallas to Orlando had to make an emergency landing after a cellphone apparently exploded in an overhead bin.
The flight was forced to land in Jacksonville after smoke filled the cabin.
A cellphone was apparently charging with a battery pack when witnesses say it exploded and ignited a backpack.
People on board were able to safely extinguish the fire before the emergency landing.
A spokesperson from Spirit issued a statement thanking the crew and guests for their quick actions.
The FAA is investigating.