Church damaged in fire still giving food to poor

A fire at a church in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens has failed to stop members from helping to provide food to those in need. Fire officials said an unattended stove sparked the five-alarm fire Sunday

News 12 Staff

Apr 6, 2016, 3:23 AM

Updated 2,933 days ago

Share:

Church damaged in fire still giving food to poor
A fire at a church in Prospect-Lefferts Gardens has failed to stop members from helping to provide food to those in need.
Fire officials said an unattended stove sparked the five-alarm fire Sunday that badly damaged the More Grace Redemptive Center. 
The fire damage prevented the church's food pantry from taking food deliveries, but that didn't stop workers from doing what they do every Tuesday. Workers decided to hand out the non-perishable food from last week to those in need until they are fully operational again.
The pantry feeds more than 300 families a week. Those who waited in line for food said they were grateful.
Pastor David Lawe said there are extensive repairs to be made to the church, but said it won't stop workers from feeding families in need.


More from News 12