Family says they’re on the streets after fire at birthplace of hip-hop

Lanaya Houston says the fire broke out in her bedroom near the air conditioning unit. She says that the smell of smoke is still so strong from that fire that it’s still hard to breathe in the apartment.

News 12 Staff

Nov 10, 2022, 1:16 AM

Updated 555 days ago

Share:

A mother and her family say they are homeless after a devastating apartment fire that took place at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue, known as the birthplace of hip-hop.
Lanaya Houston says the fire broke out in her bedroom near the air conditioning unit. She says that the smell of smoke is still so strong from that fire that it’s still hard to breathe in the apartment.
"They said it was an electrical fire and it started in the wall,” said Houston. “Some firefighters yesterday, while trying to put out the blaze, were getting electrocuted.”
Over 100 firefighters responded just after 7:15 a.m. on Tuesday morning to the two-alarm fire that broke out on the 7th floor.
One step into the apartment reveals charred children’s toys. Once white walls are now burned black. Houston says she was able to recover a few family photos, but that she needs help from her building.
“Me, my daughter, and my granddaughter lost everything, we are homeless,” said Houston. “It was due to no fault of mine, so I would like for them to help me regain a home.”
Houston says the Red Cross gave her two nights in a nearby hotel, but she doesn’t feel safe staying in the current building. She is hoping for a new apartment.


More from News 12