FDNY: 2 people injured when 2-alarm fire rips through Crown Heights apartment building

Two people were injured on Thanksgiving Day when a two-alarm fire ripped through a Crown Heights apartment building just as families were preparing their Thanksgiving dinners.
Neighbors rushed out of their Sterling Place building to find smoke pouring out of the windows. Many families say they were cooking when they smelled the smoke and heard the alarms going off.
“You could smell it. It was deep. We were almost choking,” says neighbor Anthony Elder.
More than 100 members of the FDNY responded to the fire just past 12 p.m. Fire officials say that two people suffered injuries that were not life-threatening.
Residents were forced out of their homes and had to leave everything behind.
“I come home and my whole apartment is gone. Thirty-one years,” says resident Lynnette Roy. “On Thanksgiving.”
The American Red Cross says it is working with at least 26 residents whose homes were lost or damaged.